I have to admit, I do not take a compliment with grace. I feel awkward. I think I have to either down-play the compliment, make an excuse why I’m not….fill in the blank, or I completely ignore it and compliment the person that is trying to give me the compliment. I also divert by telling the person I got it on sale or where I purchased item, who does my hair, you get the idea.
Why can’t I just say, Thank You. Why can’t I see myself as others do?
I know, I’m weird (I’ve heard that before). Why can I give compliments left and right, be truly sincere, but I can’t accept one? Is my self-esteem too low? (Maybe) Do I not feel worthy? (Probably)
My Mom did teach me how to accept a compliment, but that lesson just didn’t ‘take’ for me. She said a simple, Thank You does the job every time. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just a “Thank You” and move on.
It’s really that simple.
Here are my tips that I am working on.
- Take a breath after I hear the compliment. This allows me a moment to gather myself and remind myself just say “Thank You” without any excuses or explanations.
- Remind myself to have an open heart. Not to be closed minded.
- Practice saying, Thank You. Replying to comments on the blog has helped.
- Don’t over-think the compliment. Take it and keep my mouth shut.
- Always remember, that the person giving me the compliment likes/loves me.
- Remind myself that I am worthy, sometimes. Work in progress.
If you are struggling with the same thing, I hope these tips help you.
Let me know what you are working on to be better. Maybe we can help each other out.