We all need less clutter in our homes. I have down-sized my home a few times. Generally when I move, need some cash or just sick of looking at all the junk. It’s time to do it again.
This time I am taking on a new approach. I am going to tackle each room and closet with the intent to only keep the things I truly need and keep the things that make me happy. I want everything in my home to bring me joy. The rest is history.
I will make a sell, trash and donate piles for each task I tackle. As soon as that task is completed I will make sure the trash is taken out, the donate pile will be taken to my organization of choice and my sell pile will be tagged and ready to go for those selling websites or a garage sale.
I know this will take me a while to complete. The end result will be a less cluttered home and I will feel a sense of relief to have these things in my house no longer weighing me down. My home will be a happy place.
Here is my checklist of things I will be getting rid.
- Out dated food and spices. That even means that foil wrapped item that’s been in my freezer for a year (whatever it may be). If I don’t use the spice on a regular basis it’s gone.
- Mugs/coffee cups. How many do I really need when it’s just me and ‘The Kid’ in the house? We don’t even drink coffee.
- Kitchen utensils. Will I really use 3 whisks and 2 sets of measuring cups at one time?
- Pots/pans and baking dishes. I don’t need all those baking dishes. I don’t bake.
- Kitchen gadgets. I have never used my blender. It’s time to go.
- How many serving platers does one person need? Do I really need that chip/dip set that has Christmas decor on it, when I have a nice everyday set? The Christmas set has to go.
- I need to get rid of that bag full of twist ties in the junk drawer. I think I have used one out of that bag since I started my collection. Time for the trash.
- Left over containers. I need to get rid of those bowls that have no lids, or lids that have no bowls.
- Magnets on the fridge. I don’t need 20. Maybe 3-4 just to hang notes or invite reminders.
- Grocery bags. I don’t need 50 plastic bags in the house. Maybe 10 bags. I think I will put the rest in my garage sale pile so I have bags for the customers to carry home their goodies.
- Chip clips. There’s usually one or two bags in the house. I don’t need 6 of those things and a clothes pin works great too.
- Take out menus. Most places have their menus online.
- Why do I keep those rugs that I trip over every day? GONE!!!
- Old make-up. If I haven’t used it, it needs to go. Even the new stuff. If I haven’t used it in a few weeks….Gone.
- Nail polish. If it’s dried up or I don’t like the color, time for the trash.
- Hair products/shampoo. If I don’t like it or it didn’t work, get rid of it.
- I have got to get rid of those stretched out hair bands and those awful clips.
- Why do I have 6 old used tooth brushes? Keep one and store it with the cleaning supplies to get those hard to reach places.
- I have to get rid of all those samplers. I don’t need 6 tiny shampoo bottles, and 6 of those tiny soaps.
- Old or broken curling irons and straighteners, blow-dryers and electric razors. Trash time.
- Anything that is too big, too small, too ugly, I don’t like, or haven’t worn in the last season, they are out of here.
- Belts and purses. If the belts are broken, worn out, ugly or never worn they are history. If I haven’t used the purse in a year….Gone.
- Socks and panty hose. I have to get rid of those unmatched and holey socks. There is no reason to have 10 pairs of panty hose in a drawer that I haven’t worn in over a year.
- Under garments. Time to let go of those personable items I no longer wear or like.
- Sheets/blankets and pillows. 2 sets of sheets for each bed is enough. There is no reason that I should have 6 extra bed pillows and blankets that I have never used.
- Why do I still have a pair of shoes from the 90’s? Out of fashion, no longer like, or just ugly…time for a new home.
- Jackets and coats. Great time of the year to donate these items. Time to let go of that coat that is 2 sizes too small.
- Hats/gloves and scarves. Do I really need 7 winter scarves, 8 pairs of gloves and 4 winter hats? Time to downsize those too. Just going to keep 2 of each for variety.
- I need one for each car and an extra one just in case. That makes three. Time to let the other 3 go.
- Time to let go of that one earring that I have don’t have the match to. Time to release my out dated necklaces. If they are the good stuff I may have to take them to get melted down for cash.
- Board games/card games. If I haven’t pulled the game out in a year…..it’s gone. And why do I have 6 decks of playing cards?
- If I still have any, they are out of here.
- If I haven’t read it in 6 months, I probably won’t read it. DONATE. If I have read it why am I holding on to it? I will give away to family members or donate them.
- I like my movies but I really need to get rid of some. Time to go through those and lighten my load. If I haven’t watched in the past year I will get rid of it.
- Merchandise boxes. If the warranty is expired there is no need for the box. If I have the receipt, there is no need for the box.
- Any empty box, recycle or use for garage sale or donate piles.
- Old cell phones…..DONATE
- Pens/pencils/markers. I have a shoe box full of this stuff. I will only keep a few good working pens, a couple of pencils and one good marker. Just enough to keep in my desk drawer.
- Paper work. Keep only the last 7 years of my taxes and such. The rest will be shredded.
- Office supplies. I don’t need push pins or thumb tacks. I don’t need 15 tablets or a 600 post it notes. I don’t need a paper punch or 10 blank folders. They all have to go. Why do I have staples and no stapler?
- Out dated calendars.
- Magazines/catalogs. If I have read them, I no longer need them.
- Eye glasses. I have a collection of these too. I HAVE to donate these.
- Out dated phone books. Shoot, I really don’t need any phone books. Almost every business phone number can be found online.
- Old electronics. I don’t use that old hand-held Tetris game anymore. Why do I still have that outdate software? I have no use for a VCR either. Why am I keeping that broken set of head phones? I have no use for those box speakers. I can’t remember the last time I listened to that boom box. Why do I have so many cords that don’t belong to anything? All gone.
- Luggage/duffel bags. I don’t need 3 carry on suitcases. Really!!!! I have 6 duffle bags, WHY?
- Holiday decorations. If I haven’t used it for the season, there is no reason for me to keep it.
- If my project is done, then I need to get rid of the supplies. If I haven’t completed the project in the past 6 months, I will never finish it. Time to go.
- Wall décor. If I don’t like it or it doesn’t bring a smile to my face….it’s gone
- Knick-Knacks. Why am I cluttering up my house with things I don’t like?
That’s my list. I’m sure I have missed a few things. Maybe you can use my list to help you find your joy in your home.
Tell me some of the things you want to get rid of in your home.